twitter


Here is the final result of my own version of a bearded viking hat:




Step 1- Make a beanie. I made a standard grey in-the-round (crown-to-brim) beanie out of DC, making FPDC where I wanted the vertical ridges to appear. Then I used a contrast color to make the brim band, also using FPDC and front loops only for similar effect.

Step 2- Make some horns. I used the instructions found here as a guide, allowing my horns to twist just slightly because I liked the effect. That and I got tired of making row after row of twisted horns only to discover I had no idea where my mistake was... I strongly suggest using a stitch marker or safety pin or something to keep your place on each round.

Then I added a couple of rounds of grey yarn where the horn would eventually be sewn to the beanie.

Step 3- Make a beard base. I used the beard instructions found here as a guide, making a few more chain stitches to get around my man's face until it fit just right (or close enough).


Step 4- Make the beard. I used two strands of yarn for each "hair"- one black and one light brown- to add depth. I folded each pair in half and attached them tassel-style around the posts of the beard base stitches, ending up with four strands of yarn (two black and two light brown) coming down from each tassel tie. Put on your favorite music or a long movie, and get comfortable- this step takes a while, but is so very worth it in the end. You could easily vary the length and thickness of your beard simply by cutting the strands shorter, attaching the strands to fewer stitch-posts, or doing fewer horizontal rows of tassels.

Step 5- Attach the beard to the beanie. I did this by roughly sewing a button to the end corner of each side of the beard and then pushing each button through any two stitches in the light brown part of the beanie brim. I used fairly large buttons so that they would really stay in there, and did NOT make specific button holes in the beanie so that I could move the beard up, down, forward or backward depending on the wearer of the beanie as well as to account for the pull and stretch of the beard.

Full, detailed post of how each step was made to come next. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! That turned out AMAZING! I LOVE it!!!

  1. This is SO incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your method. I would love to make one of these for my brother. We live in a very temperate climate, but he is headed to Michigan for two years and I'm afraid he's going to freeze to death! He would get a kick out of having something like this to keep his face warm.

  1. Gumbo Soul, thank you!!! And Aelysium, I'd love to see a picture when you're done- and please let me help you if you get stuck at any point! :) Have fun!

  1. Thanks for putting links to everything on the post! I really appreciate it.

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    beardowear

  1. going to try one (well several) for Christmas presents. Thank you for the "how to". I like how it attaches to the hat.

  1. Can you post the pattern for the hat please?

  1. TykeMcDaniel, I apologize for my delay in response! Here is an EXCELLENT pattern for the hat that I used as a starting point for my viking hat: http://aprildraven.blogspot.com/2009/09/bellas-hat-free-pattern-twilight.html
    The changes I made were that I never did any of the bpdc (back post double crochet) on any of the rounds, but I DID do the fpdc (front post double crochet, where you crochet around the post instead of through the little "v" in the top of the stitch) where I wanted my vertical ridges to go. It's a little hard to see, but I have FOUR vertical ridges (so that's FOUR fpdc) evenly spaced on every round of the hat. You don't even have to count- just make a fpdc into your previous fpdc on every round, and do your increases between them so that you get a nice circular shape. For the brown part near the brim, I did do a few bpdc to make it look like the brim was sticking out (making the horizontal ridges at the top and bottom of the brim). For the nubby spots of the brown brim section, I did a bobble stitch to make it puffy. You could easily make the whole hat in gray and then make a narrow strip in brown/gold/whatever color you like best and sew it right on top of the bottom of the hat if you don't want to do it in one piece. I hope this helps! I made most of it up as I went along, since I couldn't find a tutorial for the whole thing anywhere online. That was over a year ago, so there's probably a nice tut out there somewhere by now. :) Happy crocheting!! -Jules

  1. I love aprils items. Made the mario hat for my husband several years ago and he has worn it out. I have been working on a viking hat and beard for him but was kind of stuck on the hat. lol to think it was there all the time in front of me. Thanks so much for the help. I love the beard as well. now on the yarn did you unravel it to make it look so full?

  1. Hi there,

    i'm a beginner from belgium. Could you please translate or explain the terms: DC and FPDC? email:nan_celestina@hotmail.com

  1. Hi Nanter Ternan. Dc means double crochet and FPDC means front post double crochet

Post a Comment